...

Friday, March 24, 2006

Siesta

In other countries people have a much more realistic and relaxed way of living. We all know about Mexican siestas, which supposedly makes sense because nobody really wants to work right after lunch in the worst heat of the day anway, or at least that's what I was told growing up. But that explanation doesn't wash in Italy, where they also go home, closing shops and offices, between noon and four.

I always have a tought time getting back to work after lunch, apparently most everyone does, it's a body-clock thing. At this time of year, with sunrise early, I tend to get up with the sun and put in 6 or seven hours work before lunch. And then I crash. It's very unusual for me to get much done between lunch and 4 or so. The stupid thing is that I usually try. I'll sit at my desk fiddling, picking up books and putting them down, checking my email again, checking news headlines -trying to get back to work and almost always (unless I have some drop-dead deadline) failing utterly.

So my question at this point is why fight it? Why not just do yard work or read and relax from noon to 4, and then get back to work? Isn't that what being self-employed is supposed to give me, flexibility? The problem is I'm also Yankee born and raised and it just seems wrong to goof off in the middle of the day.

sigh...

4 comments:

Forrest Proper said...

mike- you have a point. But anything I ever do that contains the word 'recharging' also usually contains either the word 'beer' or 'bourbon'...

Phoebe Fay said...

And the problem with that is...?

Seriously, if you've put in six or seven hours before lunch, then you've probably already done more work than most people do in a regular eight hour day, so screw it. Relax, spend some quality time with the pids, read a book (and you're a bookseller - thus you can always make good use of reading something).

Yankee born and raised is no excuse. I was Republican born and raised, and I got over that.

Catalyst said...

A siesta is not goofing off. It is one of the great joys of life. Relax, enjoy yourself.

PhoebeFay - Congratulations on your final sentence. Me too.

Forrest Proper said...

phebes- also accept my congrats on escaping the Repugnalican thing.

catalyst- I'll give it a try, and work really, really hard at it.

ckw- And how are things at MicroSquish?