...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Aha!

Wondering why it has been raining since, oh, last decade? I just discovered the reason -I did it.

Our new catalog is out today (and I gotta finish this and scurry over to finish getting the web copy up), and my copy came in the mail yesterday. At the end of it I write a short "Speaking of Books" column, the point of which is that I speak of every thing other than books -gives the catalog that nice personal touch that folks seem to like.

But I digress...

The column, of course, was written about 10 days ago (to be precise, it was written Friday, May 5th) and I was horrified to re-read it yesterday and find that I wrote-

"Spring has finally sprung at Foggygates, with the azaleas that ring the deck giving way to lilacs and finally the rhododendrons which are here, there and everywhere. I bought hardwood charcoal for the grill today, which is probably a good way of assuring a solid week of rain, but the writing is on the wall- the outdoor festivities can begin."

What was I thinking???

Of course it's been raining ever since I wrote that, and a look at this morning's five-day shows rain forecast right through Saturday.

So, my apologies to everyone. I have, yet again, pissed off the weather gods. You'd have thought I'd have learned sumthin' after the Blizzard of '78...

Memo to Rain Gods- we need some sunshine. The ferns are starting to mold.

6 comments:

Forrest Proper said...

mike- I have heard that the Rain Gods like sacrifices of fermented or distilled spirits -gin would do nicely. To sacrifice gin to the Rain Gods, I am told you fill the glass and then empty it, but, because gin and other spirits are potent substances, it is best not to empty it down a drain, or onto the ground. I guess you'll just have to improvise...

It's raining again. ixpcqycz!

Phoebe Fay said...

Well, it's another bright sunshiny day here. Course, we'll be wishing we had all that moisture right quick when fire season starts in earnest.

Blame it on the Bushies. It's just one more example of the wet get wetter while the dry get droughter, and everybody but Haliburton and Exxon is getting screwed.

Catalyst said...

Don't you demons have some contacts in warmer places with, ahem, "powers?"

Forrest Proper said...

mike- it's true you have not been very effective so far, but you know what they say about practice...

phebes- 10 days ago we too had a high-fire danger here, but that's nothing that 15 inches of rain didn't cure... and yes, of course it's Bush's fault. I thought that went without saying.

catalyst- I don't do weather.

Catalyst said...

Oh, I think you do. It has started raining here. Just a light drizzle so far but I've got my eye on you.

Forrest Proper said...

oddly enough, the sun just came out here...

[exits, whistling quietly]