...

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Giants Passing...


RIP: Don Knotts and Darren McGavin.

Don Knotts' Barney Fife remains one of the great comedic creations of television history. Darren McGavin's Karl Kolchak, Night Stalker is a cult favorite today, but a series I remember vividly from 8th grade. My friends and I watched avidly for the short time it was on. It was camp, but it was really, really great camp. McGavin is also widely-known for his "grumpy dad" role in the movie A Christmas Story.

I gotta go lamp shopping now...

2 comments:

Phoebe Fay said...

When I think of Don Knotts, I think of those Disney live-action films like The Apple Dumpling Gang. I was exactly the target age when those came out, and I loved them.

And Darren McGavin, I wouldn't have known his name, but Christmas Story is a classic, and I couldn't imagine it without him. Let us know when you find that lamp!

jgodsey said...

Carl Kolchak was one of my childhood heros....
he makes sculder and mully look like pussies.
he went down the deep dark tunnels with naught but a flashlight and a camera
no 9mm for him.

he's one my patron saints, along with ben hecht, edward r murrow and margaret bourke white.