...

Monday, November 03, 2008

R.I.P. Madelyn Dunham.



Senator Barack Obama’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunhama, a central figure in his life who helped raise him during his teen-age years, died in Hawaii this morning.

Mr. Obama, who left the presidential campaign trail last week to travel to Honolulu to bid her farewell, announced the death in a statement released by his spokesman this afternoon. Her death comes one day shy of Election Day.

“It is with great sadness that we announce that our grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died peacefully after a battle with cancer,” Mr. Obama said in a statement. “She was the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility. She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances.”

9 comments:

Catalyst said...

One day too soon. How sad. But I think she knew.

Mike said...

So sad she didn't get to see him win tomorrow.

Forrest Proper said...

Yes, I see this as a sign. I think she knows it will be ok, so she went on Home.

Laugh if you like, after the last 8 years, I hafta believe...

Mrs. Chili said...

Colonel, I was coming here to say the SAME DAMNED THING! My comment was going to be "she held out long enough to say goodbye and to know that it was going to be alright."

I'm COVERED in goosebumps right now. Holy crap; that's kinda creepy...

Forrest Proper said...

It's gonna be ok.

Malach the Merciless said...

RIP. Barack looks like he should be on a episode of Welcome Back Kotter in that photo.

Phoebe Fay said...

MP told me this when I got home this evening, and I started crying. I didn't expect to be affected that strongly, but I just felt so sad that she didn't live to see tomorrow.

pissed off patricia said...

I would like to think she knew she had done all that she could for him and now he was ready to be on his own.

I cried when I heard the news too. I guess I feel like he's part of my family now and what hurts him, hurts me.

Malicious Intent said...

I had so much respect for Obama when he still continued to campaign despite his personal loss and pain. (This is in addition to the mountain of respect I already had for him.) He stood up there on that stage with grace and dignity and did what he knew his grandmother would want him to do, finish the job and bring home that victory. How can you NOT want a man like that to lead our country?