...

Thursday, December 14, 2006

RIP, Peter Boyle-


Actor Peter Boyle has died, which is a shame, as he was a good actor and a good man. As I have been reading various obituaries over the past few days I have been struck by what can only be another example of my passing from the "Now" to the "Used to Be" class. Almost all the stories I have seen were headlined "Everybody Loves Raymond's Father Dies", to which I wanted to scream- "NO!! the star of Young Frankenstein (sorry- Frankensteen) died!"

I guess it's a generational thing, but I'm sorry... which is the better entertainment? Now I have a bias here- I am one of (apparently) six people in the United States who never saw one single second of whatever television show that is they are talking about, and does not regret that for a single second. But that aside- "Young Frankenstein" is one of the *classic* modern comedy movies, back when comedies were still actually funny.

And it had Teri Garr. What's not to like??

*grumble*

I guess I'll go put on my top hat now... puttin' on the Ritz!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

3 comments:

jgodsey said...

Carl Lazlo, Clyde Bruckman and Joe McGinnis. a man of many faces - he will be missed

Catalyst said...

And it had Teri Garr.

Who can forget Gene Wilder entering the castle and commenting, "Nice knockers."

The delicious Miss Garr responds, "Oh, thank you."

Phoebe Fay said...

Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you! (sung in my best soprano, of course).

Young Frankenstein was the first PG movie I ever saw in a theater, and it still ranks as one of the funniest movies ever.

(BTW, my v-word sounds like one of the creatures lines - guoeagl)